- 1 cup white rice
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 TBS garlic
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced
- 2 cups raw broccoli, diced
- salt and pepper
- Fresh grated Parmesan for topping
- In a 12″ pan, heat a small amount of oil and cook diced chicken over medium high heat until browned. Chicken does not have to be cooked all the way through.
- Add rice and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add broccoli, chicken broth, garlic, garlic salt and lime juice. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan
To find this and other amazing recipes, check out Yellow Bliss Road!
Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe original recipe Seriously guys follow her blog. She is one of my food blogger heroes. Mel, if you read this, can I come spend a day cooking with you?? That would be amazing!
Here’s a note from her: if you like extra sauce, double the sauce ingredients – pour half over the chicken and follow the recipe instructions; pour the other half in a small saucepan and cook the sauce on the stovetop at a simmer for 8-10 minutes until it reduces and thickens. Serve it on the side of the chicken.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cooked Rice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken.
- Whisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate.
- Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes in skillet and then flip each piece over to cook on the other side until nicely golden but not all the way cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce.
- Serve over hot rice.
- 1 ½ lbs Ground beef
- 2/3 c. Crackers, crumbled (saltines or ritz are great!)
- 1 pkg Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Egg
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Ginger
- ¼ c. Milk
- 2 TBS Corn Starch
- ½ c. Brown Sugar
- 1/3 c. Vinegar
- 1 TBS Soy Sauce
- ½ Bell Pepper
- 1 can Pineapple chunks, drained
2 cups of white rice, cooked
- Mix all ingredients for meatball mixture together and form into balls.
- Brown meatballs in 1 TBS of oil.
- Pour off oil and remove meatballs.
- Make sauce in pan. Mix all but bell peppers and pineapple in the pan.
- Bring to a boil and stir for 1 minute until sauce thickens.
- Add meatballs, pineapple, and bell pepper.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours 10 mins
Serves: 9 (This makes a great freezer meal too!)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa
- 2 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
- ½ lb. (8 oz.) frozen corn
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp cumin
- ½ Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- to taste cracked pepper
- 2 cups dry rice
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar
- ½ bunch cilantro (optional)
- Add everything except the rice, cheese, and cilantro to the slow cooker along with ¼ cup of water (for good measure). Give everything a good stir and make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture.
- Secure the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
- Near the end of the cooking time, cook the two cups of rice according to the package directions (Bring the rice and 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot with a lid in place, as soon as it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving).
- After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker. Stir with a fork to shred the chicken (it should be super tender and will shred easily). Build the taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.
The original recipe can be found here. A cool tidbit is that she figured out the cost per serving on this and it is $1.33! WAY cheaper than eating out and all the more delicious. Thanks Budget Bytes!
- 1 lb extra-lean Ground Beef
- 2 TBS dehydrated onion (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 TBS flour
- 1 ½ cups water or pineapple juice
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 3 TBS soy sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine meatball ingredients. Shape into 1-inch balls and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Place under the broiler in your oven for 5-7 minutes or until the meatballs begin to brown.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sauce ingredients and bring a boil. Add the meatballs and reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
Serve over white rice with a side of stir-fried Asian veggies.
Another delicious recipe from the Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen cookbook!