Remember last week I hinted that you can even freeze fresh spinach? You can! Just put it in a ziploc bag and get as much air out of it as possible to minimize frost bite. You won’t be able to use it in anything like salads but it is perfect to use in any dish you cook (or that you wilt the leaves) and for green smoothies!
A little more than a year ago, I started making green smoothies for lunch each day for me and my son. A perfect, delicious way to get in your vegetables! I’d buy the fruit for cheap at Superstition Ranch Market, chop and freeze them and then use it for smoothies. BUT each day, I’d pull out the bag of bananas, the bag of strawberries, the bag of blue berries, the fresh spinach, etc. It took a lot of time when you have a starving toddler pulling at your clothes saying, “Mom I’m hungry!!”
“Light bulb!” (please go back and say it like Gru in “Despicable Me” 😉 )
Why don’t I just freeze everything together in individual packs?!?!
I’ve made up several smoothie packs and they work GREAT!
A couple of tips:
- Cut up all of your fruit in small pieces so it’s easier on your blender
- Add more liquid than normal so it blends easier
- Get as much air out of the bag as possible before you freeze it to reduce frost bite
I just use the sandwich sized bags and it’s perfect for me and my son.
It isn’t exact science! I put in 2 handfuls of spinach, 1.5 ripe bananas, and then about 1 cup of other fruit chopped up.
Here are some of my favorite combinations:
- Spinach, banana, strawberry and blue berries
- Spinach, banana, strawberry, and pineapple
- Spinach, banana, strawberry, blue berries and pineapple
- Spinach, banana, strawberry with orange juice (added when you blend it)
- Spinach, banana, and mixed berries
When it’s time for lunch, I pull out a pack from the freezer. Put vanilla yogurt and your other choice of liquid (milk, water, juice) in the blender first. Break apart the frozen pack into the blender. Pulse the blender a few times and then let it blend up! If it’s too thick just add more liquid.
It is a quick and easy meal plus a delicious way to eat spinach that even a 2 year old will love!