- 20 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 large)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 large stalks)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme or rosemary
For the crumble:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (use 1/2 tsp for a slightly stronger garlic flavor)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and diced into small cubes
- 2 oz. finely shredded Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup packed)
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
- Place chicken in a slow cooker, pour chicken broth over chicken. Cover with lid and cook on low heat about 5 – 6 hours until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from slow cooker, dice and set aside. Try to remove pieces of fat from the broth.
To prepare crumble
- Preheat oven to 450 degree. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and optional cayenne pepper. Using your finger tips, cut butter into mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour in milk and mix just until combine. Break and drop mixture into 1 – 2-inch pieces onto a lightly greased baking dish. Bake in oven for 10 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
To prepare filling
- Heat olive oil over medium/high heat. Once hot, add diced carrots and celery. Saute vegetables, stirring occasionally until lightly golden and tender, about 5 – 6 minutes. Pour vegetables into a bowl and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, melt butter in saucepan (I like to brown it a bit for and extra layer of flavor), then add in flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 20 seconds (it will be very thick). While stirring, slowly add in milk followed by reserved chicken broth, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, onion powder and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil, then slightly reduce heat and allow to cook about 1 minute longer until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove sauce from heat and add vegetables, frozen peas and diced chicken to sauce, then toss to evenly coat. Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie dish and sprinkle with baked crumble topping. If your pie pan is shallow like mine, you might split it into 2 pans and make 2 pies.
- Bake in 400 degree oven until nicely golden about 12 – 14 minutes.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy