Recipe Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe original recipe Seriously guys follow her blog. She is one of my food blogger heroes. Mel, if you read this, can I come spend a day cooking with you?? That would be amazing!
Here’s a note from her: if you like extra sauce, double the sauce ingredients – pour half over the chicken and follow the recipe instructions; pour the other half in a small saucepan and cook the sauce on the stovetop at a simmer for 8-10 minutes until it reduces and thickens. Serve it on the side of the chicken.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cooked Rice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cornstarch in a gallon-sized ziploc bag. Put the chicken into the bag with the cornstarch and seal, tossing to coat the chicken.
- Whisk the eggs together in a shallow pie plate.
- Dip the cornstarch-coated chicken pieces in the egg and place them carefully in a single layer in the hot skillet.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes in skillet and then flip each piece over to cook on the other side until nicely golden but not all the way cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish and repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake for one hour, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce.
- Serve over hot rice.